The issue of employee recruitment and retention has reached an all time high. Many restaurant operators are struggling to find and keep quality employees.
With that in mind, below are nine ways to improve employee performance. By utilizing these methods you can greatly increase moral and significantly increase employee performance.
- Hire the values you are looking for.
- Find out why employees are not performing and ask what you can do to help them do a better job.
- Tell employees what you expect.
- Give employees clear performance standards.
- Make sure that employees have the tools to do the job.
- Get employees input on what behaviors they (the employees) should be engaged in.
- Have employees come up with 10 "house rules."
- Train, coach, evaluate, and reward the behaviors identified above.
- Improve your feedback by dealing with the problems that are within an employee's control, think through what you will say and how you will say it, and be specific about behaviors rather than attitudes.